Friday, January 29, 2010

Darksiders






Alright, I am finally getting around to my opinion on Darksiders. I beat this game about a week ago, but have been so busy with other games I never got around to doing this. Let me be one to say, this game is incredible. Definitely one the bes
t gaming experience I've had so far in 2010. (Mass Effect 2 of course destroying everything else that is out so far. That is for another time, though)




Darksiders is the first game developed by the new THQ branch, Vigil Games. This is the best way to come into the games industry. Vigil was founded by a couple of comic book developers, which is very obvious in Darksiders art.

I am going to do this review a little differently, I am going to list off key things I really loved in this game, and key things I really could have done without.


Loved:

- The visual style of the whole game. It was pretty reminiscent of World Of Warcraft's visual style. That is not a bad thing; I honestly love Post-Wrath of the Lich King graphics. Basically, this game is very very pretty.

- WAR is a fucking badass. He is one the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. This dude fucks shit up, and gets shit done. Just look at this dude:



- The gameplay is a very good homage to the Legend of Zelda series. Being the dedicated fan of Zelda that I am, this game pretty much had me hooked from start to finish. Great puzzle solving, some cool accessories to get, and a horse! (Ruin > Epona)


Dislikes:


- I really thought the gun was pointless. Why does one of the Four Horsemen need a gun? I practically never used it. Except on one boss.


- I played through the game on Apocalyptic difficulty (hardest difficulty), and the enemies really posed no challenge. All the bosses were EXTREMELY simple to beat. Pretty much this game is really simple, which I wouldn't expect being it the APOCALYPSE and all.


I basically have no other complaints, this game did a lot more right then wrong. I played it on the PS3, and surprisingly enough load times were pretty speedy so no complaint there. There was some minor frame rate issues, but nothing too intense. This game offered some minor item collecting, which as mentioned in the Bayonetta review; I love item collecting. I found just about every uhh 'heart piece' and wrath shard. I found 8/10 of the armor pieces. I will probably go back through with a guide just to find the rest, to be honest.

So, definitely pick this game up if you have some extra money. Even at the very least, rent it. It's beyond worth playing. It's almost necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment